Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mr Bold recommends...

"The Great Derangement" by Matt Taibbi.

I just started it, but Taibbi sets it up as an inside look at the lunatic fringe-Right and Left.

The following gives you the flavor of the book:

...You can say a lot of weird shit when you're a Brother in Christ, so long as you don't forget to sing along at the right times.

In that regard, the 'prayer request' [a Pastor John Hagee hotline] I ended up making was for a fictional ex-wife who I said had run out on me. I told my prayer line counselor that my betrothed had thrown me over for a Jewish ACLU lawyer named Schatz--that she had jumped in his Saab and run away with him to Paris, to take the Bateau-Mouche ride she said I could never give her. I further told my counselor that I didn't know what 'Bateau-Mouche' meant, but I knew it wasn't Christian. When I was finished with my story, there was silence on the line for a moment.

'The car was a Saab?' the counselor said finally, with appropriate contempt."



I finished the first chapter. So far it's a fun read.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online