Monday, June 30, 2008

Mo Governor Blunt to sign internet harrassment bill

It looks like Missouri may be the first state to outlaw cyberbullying- in reaction to the Megan Meirs suicide. I think this is very interesting and wonder how it will be enforced.

Mr Bold, what effect, if any, do you think this will have on craigslist? As you know, I have been harrassed on that site for going on 5 years now. My name, email address, phone number, home address and my picture have all been posted without my consent, along with many horrible comments about myself (all of which were false - if not incredible exaggerated, ie my history of catching things on fire)

Craig himself told me I should call the cops and report the abuse but I never did bc I didnt think it would have any effect and I also didnt want to "play along" by giving my hater(s) the attention they were so desparate for.

So, what do you think? Will this new bill have any effect on the amount of hateraid on CL??

Mr Bold adds 12:34 pm-

This is the Federal version of the bill:
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=110_cong_bills&docid=f:h6123ih.txt.pdf

I look into this S. City and give you more feedback later.

Mr. Bold 7:24 pm-

Well I'm still having trouble finding the Missouri version of the Federal proposal.

Basically though this makes harassment online a crime. I would imagine the kind of defamation you experienced S. City would certainly now fall under this law which could mean two years in prison.

What effect this will have on CL is largely unknown. I certainly think that publishing a person's name and phone number while bashing the victim would now be actionable. Bashing anonymous people or even those with monikers would still be in and not illegal.

If I read a legal scholar's take on this I'll provide a link.

6 Comments:

S. City said...

it took me all of 3 minutes to find it (ps Bold, you're fired!)

www.senate.mo.gov/08info/pdf-bill/intro/SB818.pdf

I do feel safer since this bill was signed yesterday. In fact, here is my face pic:)

No one has my permission to post or use it anywhere.

Bring it on, cyberbullies!

wabah58 said...

Thats a great picture.

wabah58 said...

Just FYI. There are some CL trolls that visit this site.

S. City said...

I am not scared but thanks. I took that Saturday when I was full-on crazy over my awful weekend. I like it b/c I look super flat chested (but its an illusion b/c i am leaning against the wall) plus the added crazy factor makes for a memorable pic:)

MrBold said...

Hey S. City,

It's only a misdemeanor to harass an adult over the 'net.

S. City said...

Yeah I saw that but its still actionable, plus with the 100 (or is it a grand) fee per incident CL charges the offender, I think its a pretty solid punishment.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online